miércoles, 2 de noviembre de 2011

SEGUNDO DIA DE CLASE: PAST SIMPLE AND PAST CONTINUOUS

PAST SIMPLE AND PAST CONTINUOUS
  1. Complete the chart with the past simple and past participle of these verbs:
Base form
Past simple
Past Participle
Become


Go


Build


Break


Catch


Drive


Fight


Forgive


Hear


Lead


Meet


Pay


Ride


Sell


Sit


Swear


Take


Teach


Wear


Begin


See


Buy


Choose


Drink


Get


Hurt


Lose


Put


Sing


Sleep


Rise

Think


Wake up


Eat


Fly


Bleed


Feel


Grow


Hold


Run




  1. Underline the correct item.
1)      While we had / were having a picnic, it started to rain.
2)      Alice was drawing a picture while her mum was cooking / cooked dinner.
3)      What did you do / were you doing at 9 o’clock last night?
4)      During my last holiday, I learnt / was learning to jet-ski.
5)      I wasn’t speaking / didn’t speak much when I was a child.
6)      Mike relaxed / was relaxing in front of the TV while his sister was studying for her exams.
7)      When he was young, he delivered / was delivering newspapers.
8)      Charlie was giving / gave a speech after he received his reward.
9)      What time were you arriving / did you arrive at the airport?
10)  Someone stole Ben’s car while he slept / was sleeping last night.

  1. Put the verbs in brackets into the past simple or past continuous.
1)      A- What happened ___________________(HAPPEN) with the experiment?
B- Everyone ___________ (BE) very impressed by it and _________________ (AGREE) that it was a huge breakthrough.
2)      A- I ______________ (CALL) you all day yesterday but you ________________ (NOT BE) at home.
B- Sorry, but I was helping my brother pick out a suit for his new job.
3)      A- They ___________________ (SEEM) so much in love when I _________________ (SEE) them at the restaurant yesterday.
B- Yes, no wonder they are getting married this summer.
4)      A- While Dad _________________ (DRINK) coffee, I _________________ (MAKE) pancakes.
B- And what about mum? _____________________ (SHE BE) around?
5)      A- What _______________________ (HE DO) when the fire started?
B- He ____________________ (READ) a book while his parents _________________ (MAKE) dinner.

  1. Complete the sentences with the verbs bellow. Use the Present Simple, Present Continuous or Past Simple.
VISIT       RAIN             NOT STUDY             BUY               NOT WATCH
a)      Bob …………………………….. English on Mondays.
b)      My parents ……………………… a new car last year.
c)      …….. it …………….…….. now?
d)     …………………… you ………………….. your grandparents once a week?
e)      I ……………………. TV yesterday.
  1. Write sentences with the words bellow. Use the Past Simple or Past Continuous. (1 point)
a)      while / we / ride / our bikes / the rain / start / .


b)      when / Bill / see / me / I / run / to the bus.


c)      you / have / dinner / when / I / phone / ?


d)     Greg / crash / into a tree / while / he / drive / his father’s car / .




  1. Choose the correct answer: (1 point)
a)      I was/had been annoyed because my brother shouted/had shouted at me.
b)      After we ate/had eaten Lilly’s birthday cake, she opened/had opened all her presents.
c)      When I arrived / had arrived at school, I discovered that I left / had left my biology project at home.
d)     She didn’t learn / hadn’t learned to swim by the time she turned / had turned nine.
e)      I didn’t hear / hadn’t heard of U2 until my cousin played / had played some of their songs to me.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario