GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES
- Choose the correct answer:
1) I can’t get used to living/live without a dog.
2) Would you mind take/taking my mother to the station?
3) My father will never get used to hearing/hear such loud music.
4) We forgot picking up/to pick up our friend at the airport.
5) Alex appears to be/being in love with Nina.
6) He wants them swimming/to swim a lot.
7) It’s no use knocking/to knock on the door. Nobody’s home.
8) Carol is looking forward to hearing/hear from you.
- Complete these sentences with the gerund or to + infinitive of the verbs in brackets.
1) Are you interested in _____________________ (play) sports?
2) Would you mind ______________ (open) the window? It’s stuffy in here.
3) We have decided _____________________ (buy) a new car.
4) They promised ___________________ (send) us a postcard from Washington.
5) Do you enjoy __________________ (listen) to music?
6) She can’t help ____________________ (bite) her nails when she’s nervous.
- Join these groups of words to make complete sentences. Add words where necessary.
1) Paul / denied / robbing / wallet.
2) We / prefer / singing / dancing.
3) Mum / taught / me / paint / eight years old.
4) Where / you / learn / drive / ?
- Look at the following pairs of sentences. Write S if the meaning is the same and D if the meaning is different.
1) Betty began playing the piano at the age of four.
Betty began to play the piano at the age of four.
2) He remembered buying the tickets.
He remembered to buy the tickets.
3) We’ll never forget visiting Aunt Ann.
We won’t forget to visit Aunt Ann.
4) She hates walking in the snow.
She hates to walk in the snow.
- Fill in the blanks with a gerund or an infinitive, or both where possible.
1) We began __________________________________ our homework at eight o’clock.
2) The doctor recommended _______________________ every day.
3) I can’t stand ______________________ on buses.
4) The hotel allows guests ___________________ in the underground carpark.
5) The pupils like ______________________ their lessons outside on the grass in the spring.
6) Doris loves ______________________ to the beach in the summer.
7) Because the pupils continued __________________________ a noise, their teacher gave them more work to do.
8) His parents permit him ______________________ late at weekends, but not on school nights.
9) When will you start ________________ for your exam?
10) The bank advised ____________________ our money into a special account.
- Translate these sentences into English.
1) Admitió haber mentido.
2) No te olvides de pasear al perro después de cenar.
3) Quiero que mis hijos estudien más.